Finally

The jacket is finally finished.

My sister ended up helping me a bit—she attached the main collar (I did the facing one), but I managed to put everything else together and construct and insert the sleeves. Attaching the facing and lining to the jacket was tricky (mostly conceptually), but I eventually managed that too. Coached by my sister, I understiched the front facing. Then, I closed up the lining in the sleeves and the hole in the back.

I started to put snaps on it, but didn’t like the way it looked, so for the moment, no fastenings except that red scarf around the waist if I want it. It’s hard to justify the ugliness of the snaps because in this lovely part of the world I would almost never be able to wear it closed up because of the heat. (It hit 82° today. In February.)

20180219_224301.jpg

20180219_224735.jpg

All in all, an excellent use of inexpensive silk and velvet scraps found on Etsy.

Advertisements

The Improbable Jacket

One day, out of the blue, I decided I wanted to make a crazy quilt jacket. Completely out of the blue, as in I have never made anything remotely resembling either a crazy quilt or a jacket. While I have made a few appliqué art quilts, the only garments I ever made were a skirt and a dress over twenty years ago and with much assistance. But, I had acquired some silk and velvet scraps during late night Etsy excursions, and I wanted to do something cool with them. So, crazy quilt jacket.

 

I looked at some commercial jacket patterns and not uncapriciously decided on Vogue Pattern V9212. I was aware this was not rated as an easy pattern, but I had no idea what I was getting into. Really, no idea. As it turns out, the crazy quilting is turning out to be by far the easiest part of this project.

First, I constructed the back, which, I have come to learn, has something called princess seams (which, as it turns out, are a really bad idea for what I’m trying to do). My seams were not completely without fault, but they’re also being covered up. Anyway, here’s the back in muslin, which is the base for the crazy patches. At this point, my ignorance is enabling.

The top back patches went fairly quickly. The bottom took a little longer because of the drape of the fabric, which I managed not to lose entirely. I think the entire back took two or three days to crazy quilt.

20180205_025916.jpg

The front presented a more extreme version of the same problem: princess seams. I have thoroughly learned why most crazy quilt jackets are boxy. I did lose some curviness on the bust but not all of it, and I think the jacket may still fit.

The construction of the front sides took, I think, a day, and the crazy quilting of the front took two days, both sides altogether.

front

And here I am stuck because now the really hard part begins, putting it all together—back, front, collar, sleeves, facing, and lining. Yep. Facing and lining, too. Wish me luck, because I’m going to need it.

Sunday’s Update

I started a new skein on the Louisiana scarf today. It’s progressing nicely. I’m going to make it a bit long.

20170709_224104

I decided to make a quilt for the sofa for TV watching in the artificial winter. It’ll be just a plain patchwork, kind of boring but useful, made in part from an old sheet.

20170709_223742

I also made a little progress spinning after a period of backsliding.

20170709_223623

C’est tout.

Time to Quilt?

I’m feeling the urge to quilt today, possibly because this month is the red challenge in one of the art quilt groups on Facebook that I joined. I love red. Except that right now I’m drawn to purple instead, maybe because I have some purple handspun that I’d like to couch.

On my own, before I joined the group, I’d done six “color studies” (I don’t know what else to call them): blue, red, black, brown, yellow, and orange, in the slow stitch style (made in that order). The symmetry bug had bitten down hard by the time I got to orange.

IMG_20170606_094624_125

I’ve yet to actually do any couching or beading, but I really want to give it a try. However, what I really need to do today is to stop putting off the work assignment that I’ve been not doing for about a week now and just get it done.