Megan Dress

After a minor mishap—running out of thread as I was starting the hem—the Megan dress is done. No doubt the first(-ish) of many.

20180323_144802.jpg

IMG_20180323_204059_297.jpg

Advertisements

Megan Toile

DSCF3233.jpg

So, I made a toile for the Megan dress. Surprisingly, I don’t need to make any alterations, except perhaps in the length of the skirt. I’m ready to start on the real thing, but I can’t find fabric for it. I’m thinking I might try the crazy quilt approach on it, but in quilting cottons.

Unfinished Business

Today, I finished a bag that my sister had started for me ages ago. The crazy design details were my idea, but she implemented them. I mostly just put all the pieces together.

(That’s red, not hot pink, and the bag is black, not brown. I don’t know why my phone in that room is skewing colors beyond Google Photos’ correction abilities.)

Delphine #2

Since I botched the zipper on the first attempt at the Delphine skirt, I decided to make another with some fabric that my sister gave me. It’s a heavy cotton (nope) burlap and kind of rough, so I decided that if everything went well with the zipper this time, I would try to line it following the directions on the Tilly and the Buttons blog.

20180223_203839.jpg

Here we go again.

Well, I can’t say that everything went well with the zipper as I sewed one side on backwards (or something) initially, but after some not-so gentle ripping and an abundance of patience, I had the invisible zipper installed correctly and moving freely. I had also decided I didn’t want the skirt sticking to my tights, so I would line it.

20180224_124359.jpg

Just follow the directions.

Having already bought the lining material also played a part in that decision. So, I cut skirt pieces and changed my needle. I didn’t really fully understand the directions when it came to sewing the lining to the skirt, but I was determined to plow through anyway. Fortunately, it made a little more sense during the process, and everything came out ok.

20180224_164107.jpg

I’m absolutely addicted to this pattern because it’s easy and a flattering look. I’ve already bought fabric for two more: one in black corduroy and one in a red linen/rayon blend. I also have lining fabric for both. I do think I’m going to go down a size for two for my next attempt as the two I’ve made so far are too loose for my natural waistline and sit lower than is intended in the design.

FB_IMG_1519519479995.jpg

If you look closely, you can see that the waistband is poking out beneath my shirt beneath my elbow.

Finally

The jacket is finally finished.

My sister ended up helping me a bit—she attached the main collar (I did the facing one), but I managed to put everything else together and construct and insert the sleeves. Attaching the facing and lining to the jacket was tricky (mostly conceptually), but I eventually managed that too. Coached by my sister, I understiched the front facing. Then, I closed up the lining in the sleeves and the hole in the back.

I started to put snaps on it, but didn’t like the way it looked, so for the moment, no fastenings except that red scarf around the waist if I want it. It’s hard to justify the ugliness of the snaps because in this lovely part of the world I would almost never be able to wear it closed up because of the heat. (It hit 82° today. In February.)

20180219_224301.jpg

20180219_224735.jpg

All in all, an excellent use of inexpensive silk and velvet scraps found on Etsy.