Megan Dress

After a minor mishap—running out of thread as I was starting the hem—the Megan dress is done. No doubt the first(-ish) of many.

20180323_144802.jpg

IMG_20180323_204059_297.jpg

Advertisements

Delphine #2

Since I botched the zipper on the first attempt at the Delphine skirt, I decided to make another with some fabric that my sister gave me. It’s a heavy cotton (nope) burlap and kind of rough, so I decided that if everything went well with the zipper this time, I would try to line it following the directions on the Tilly and the Buttons blog.

20180223_203839.jpg

Here we go again.

Well, I can’t say that everything went well with the zipper as I sewed one side on backwards (or something) initially, but after some not-so gentle ripping and an abundance of patience, I had the invisible zipper installed correctly and moving freely. I had also decided I didn’t want the skirt sticking to my tights, so I would line it.

20180224_124359.jpg

Just follow the directions.

Having already bought the lining material also played a part in that decision. So, I cut skirt pieces and changed my needle. I didn’t really fully understand the directions when it came to sewing the lining to the skirt, but I was determined to plow through anyway. Fortunately, it made a little more sense during the process, and everything came out ok.

20180224_164107.jpg

I’m absolutely addicted to this pattern because it’s easy and a flattering look. I’ve already bought fabric for two more: one in black corduroy and one in a red linen/rayon blend. I also have lining fabric for both. I do think I’m going to go down a size for two for my next attempt as the two I’ve made so far are too loose for my natural waistline and sit lower than is intended in the design.

FB_IMG_1519519479995.jpg

If you look closely, you can see that the waistband is poking out beneath my shirt beneath my elbow.

Finally

The jacket is finally finished.

My sister ended up helping me a bit—she attached the main collar (I did the facing one), but I managed to put everything else together and construct and insert the sleeves. Attaching the facing and lining to the jacket was tricky (mostly conceptually), but I eventually managed that too. Coached by my sister, I understiched the front facing. Then, I closed up the lining in the sleeves and the hole in the back.

I started to put snaps on it, but didn’t like the way it looked, so for the moment, no fastenings except that red scarf around the waist if I want it. It’s hard to justify the ugliness of the snaps because in this lovely part of the world I would almost never be able to wear it closed up because of the heat. (It hit 82° today. In February.)

20180219_224301.jpg

20180219_224735.jpg

All in all, an excellent use of inexpensive silk and velvet scraps found on Etsy.

Jacket, Interrupted

20180218_184329

Love at First Stitch

In the time I’ve taken off from the jacket because I’m afraid of messing it up at the very last stages, I came across something new to me: Love at First Stitch and Tilly and the Buttons. I’ve also learned how to trace a pattern, which is pretty much mandatory if you want to use any of the patterns that come with the book.

IMG_20180217_025444_800.jpg

The Delphine Skirt

Between tracing and altering the pattern, I felt like a pro (no real illusions there). I skipped right over the PJs and went for the Delphine skirt. Luckily for me, it turns out it’s fairly easy and goof-proof, with the exception of the invisible zipper, the teeth of which I managed to stitch over. I made it in linen and should have lined it.

WIN_20180217_14_15_05_Pro.jpg

If you’ve ever wondered what a short skirt made in the largest regular size looks like for a person who is 5’0″, now you know. Not right is the answer. And it’s barely above my knees. Go ahead, Google “Delphine skirt” to see what they’re supposed to look like. Fortunately, it looks better on me than on the hanger,

DSCF3218.JPG

5’0″

Hopefully, next time will be all about how I finally finished the improbable jacket.

Working Through the Weekend

I’ve been working like mad with hardly any time to do anything else, and it’s been stressful, because complications always happen.

My stress-relief outlet suffered the consequences of serving its purpose. I cut it crazy crooked, then sewed it anyway. Look at those lovely corners. It is my first draw-string bag, and I’ll probably make more, though hopefully less sloppy.

20170804_141539.jpg

It’s the only thing I’ve managed to make, with the exception of a bit more yarn, although only enough to fill some valleys. I’m new enough at this that it’s not really stress relief, but more tension. I do it anyway.

A Bit More Yarn

My dress form came in from Amazon today. It was cheap, but I really wanted one, so I’m pretty excited. I needed something to cheer me up.

Dress Form with Shawl